Learning from Archives
We are working with teachers to develop case studies of good practice which will explore:
- teaching and learning strategies that can be used to engage students with primary material;
- themes that would provide meaningful and relevant experiences for students studying geography or history;
- ways in which archive material can be used most effectively in the curriculum;
- questions that we need to ask when we teach with archive materials and which enables students to ask questions;
- strategies enable the building of knowledge from the local to the national and global perspectives?
If you have used primary material that explores these issues or are interested in getting involved, please email email@example.com
Using our collections to develop cross curricular links
Researched and written by Rachel Bowles
A Hackney based primary school recently involved the RGS-IBG archive in its cross curricular theme based on maps. Such creative partnerships are becoming increasingly common and highlight the unique resources available at archive institutions. This project focused on history, geography and art and concentrated on the 'You are here' theme based upon inspiration provided by maps. The cross curricular maps plan details the possibilities afforded by maps across the primary subject spectrum, please click on the following links for further information [Word] [Pdf].
Further to the success of workshops during March and July 2006 with a year 4 and year 6 class from the school, a case study detailing the learning intentions and outcomes of the project was developed in addition to learning resources for use by teachers in schools. The workshop conducted with the year 4 class focused on developing geographical and literacy skills through work on Spain whereas the workshop conducted with the year 6 class used images and maps in an historical re-enaction of preparing for the D-Day landings. Guidance concerning the use of resources developed during this project can be accessed from within the case study document. The resources listed below should be used in conjunction with the case study document.
Maps across the Curriculum [Presentation]
Maps Old and New [Presentation]
Spanish Maps and Pictures [Presentation]
Images and maps - World War II Role Play [Presentation]